Yaki (grill) tori (chicken): Negi (onion) ma (?) This is a popular yakitori dish for good reason! It’s not difficult to make and it is delicious.
Two grilling tips:
• a metal bread pan is good for heating the yakitori sauce on the grill, and it’s easier to dip the chicken into the sauce than to baste the chicken. Just dip and shake!
• don’t grill in the dark. Being tired and hungry does not make a happy cook.
Chicken Thigh or Breast with Long Onion on Skewers
- Soak 12 bamboo skewers for at least an hour, use a wine bottle
- 1 chicken thigh, boned, with or without skin
- 1 chicken breast, boned, with or without skin
- 4 negi, Japanese long onions; or thin young leeks
- Tare basting sauce
Obviously, you can use 2 thighs, or 2 breasts! My chicken pieces were small,
so I wish I’d used 3 thighs. It served the two of us,
and I had a lunch with the leftovers, but 4 people would have been hungry.
• Heat a grill (you can broil these, also) and cook the skewers for 4 minutes, turning several times.
• Remove from heat and dip the skewers in the sauce. Shake off excess sauce. Return skewers to the heat and cook for 2 minutes, turning several times. Remove from heat and give them the sauce treatment again. Grill for 2 minutes. I did this dipping and grilling 3 times. (Use a basting brush for the sauce if you don’t want to dip the skewers.)
• Serve hot! But they tasted great when I had a cold lunch.
|⇐ Previous Post||Next Post ⇒|
|Maize Gelée||Spicy Stir-Fried Fennel and Carrots|